Economic Sustainability in a Digital Preservation Context
The set of business, social, technological, and policy mechanisms that encourage the gathering of important information assets into digital preservation systems, and support the indefinite persistence of digital preservation systems, enabling access to and use of the information assets into the long-term future.
Economically sustainable digital preservation requires:
- Recognition of the benefits of preservation on the part of key decision-makers;
- Incentives for decision-makers to act in the public interest;
- A process for selecting digital materials for long-term retention;
- Mechanisms to secure an ongoing, efficient allocation of resources to digital
- preservation activities;
- Appropriate organization and governance of digital preservation activities.